Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
WARNING: Do NOT make this without Panko. Ordinary bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs just don't work. Sauce can be made days ahead if desired. A great appetizer, it may be a little rich for a main course.
- 1 (6 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (6 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1 cup rum
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into chunks
- 4 ounces macadamia nuts, crushed
- 4 ounces panko breadcrumbs (NO SUBSTITUTIONS)
- 1 egg
- 1 lb sea scallops
- Chop the chunk pineapple to about quarter inch bits, mix with crushed pineapple and set aside.
- Reduce rum and brown sugar. At the same time, reduce white wine and shallots by half. Then combine both parts and continue to reduce, adding cream. When mixture thickens, whip in chunks of butter. Add pineapple. Set sauce aside, keeping warm.
- Mix panko and nuts together in a bowl.
- Lightly beat egg in a bowl with a little added cream.
- Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip scallops in egg, dredge in panko/nut mixture, and saute in butter until golden - about two to four minutes.
- Spoon some sauce on a plate. Place cooked scallops on sauce, spoon some sauce over them and serve.
- This recipe makes enough sauce for two or three pounds of scallops, but saves quite well refrigerated.