Recipe by BarbryT
My favorite chicken liver recipe. I serve with thin egg noodles. The recipe notes: do not stir the chicken livers around as you saute them; that prevents the development of the crisp, firm outside crust which is an agreeable characteristic of this dish. Recommended side dish: some kind of spinach or other preferred greens.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
We don't have chicken livers very often (maybe 2-3 times a year) but when we do, this is the kind of WONDERFUL TASTING DINNER we want to enjoy! The liver is absolutely great with the combo of bacon, apple & Applejack, & the recipe is a certain keeper! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #34]
- 1 lb chicken liver
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup tart apple, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons calvados or 3 tablespoons Applejack
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Pat livers dry.
- Saute the bacon with 1 T butter in a 10-inch skillet, until the bacon fat has rendered out.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon bits and reserve until later. In the remaining bacon fat, saute the chicken livers over medium-high heat (in a couple of batches, if necessary). Remove livers and reserve.
- Remove all but 1 T of the fat in the skillet; in the remaining fat, saute the shallots until soft. Then add the apples, Calvados and heavy cream. With a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned particles in the bottom of the pan and incorporate.
- Return the chicken livers and bacon to the simmering cream and cook them about 3 minutes more, keeping the heat low so they do not toughen.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Whisk in the last tablespoon of btuter. Dust with parsley. Serve.