Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
A great soup to make for the weekend! Put all the ingredients in your crock pot and let cook all day. Supper will be will great with a bowl of this soup and some nice crusty bread.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (more if desired)
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage (ground)
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- Set your crock pot to low and add beans, tomato soup, water, onion and seasonings. Cook for one hour.
- Over medium high heat brown sausage in small skillet. Drain fat and place sausage on a plate that has been layered with paper towels. Let more grease get absorbed in paper towels than add sausage to the crock pot. Also add the potatoes and green pepper at this time. Continue to cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Made for KK's Recipe Tag Event. I made this with New York Style Sausage Companies Hot Italian Sausage, Next time will make it with one just a tad bit milder, but did not need to add the peppers this time. Out of 4 people this received 3 5star votes and my 4 star vote, sure I'd give it 5 if I hadn't used to spicy of sausage. We will be making this again, thank you for another great recipe. Sorry still no camera available to get a pic of just how pretty this came out.
My DH and I thought this soup was yummy. Unfortunately we are only two of 6. :( The boys weren't too keen on the beans/flavor. This was an easy recipe to put together. I did use dried beans - so had to soak those for a bit - but really enjoyed the smell as it simmered all afternoon. I just did it on the stove top. Paired this with homemade bread - and a satisfying fall dinner. Made for the September 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
This was my first crock pot recipe and I had a fabulous result - I added a few chopped mushies and leeks and cooked it on low for nine hours .Thanks for helping me start out on my crock pot journey.