Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made this recipe up from what I had handy in my cupboard. Yummy! If you want to reduce the fat, try using my recipe for homemade chicken apple sausage instead of regular. It has half the fat of regular sausage, and adds delicious flavors to this casserole.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup colby cheese
- 1 lb bulk sausage, crumbled, cooked, and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Tabasco sauce (chipotle or regular)
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Boil potato slices for 1 minute, drain.
- Place potatoes into 8x10-inch covered casserole.
- Sprinkle with pepper and Tabasco.
- Cover with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Layer on cooked sausage.
- Sprinkle on remaining cheese, dill, caraway, and milk.
- Cover, and bake 45-50 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
Very Good!! I used turkey sausage and veggie "sausage" in place of bulk sausage. I also used a mixture of tofu shredded cheese mixed with lowfat shredded cheese. Calorie count probably isn't much better, but it helps with lowfat stats for our purposes. Thanks for the recipe!!!!
I had Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage that I had to cook but not much on hand. I had some baby red potatoes but no shredded cheese. I sliced & boiled the potatoes like the recipe. Sprayed the casserole dish and layered potatoes and sliced American deli cheese. Just threw on the sausage, added milk & more slices. I skipped the spices since the sausage is very flavorful. Have to say it was pretty satisfying. Not healthy but....I will make it again.
One of those "what do I have, that I don't have to go out" nights. Made almost as directed, but added Hot sauce to the meat mixture, and sliced a shallot that was sitting around. It was very tasty - using spices I would not have thought to combine. Would probably make a good base to add other favorite ingredients. Thanks CChick.