Recipe by Chef CPJ
I came across this recipe in a casserole magazine and it became a staple at our house quickly. I have experimented with vegetables like zuchinis and different colored bell peppers, and it came out wonderfully, so don't be afraid to try something different in the place of these veggies if it sounds good.
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage (ground, or you can cut the casing and take out the sausage)
- 10 ounces refrigerated pizza dough
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, sliced (I like to use Romas)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives or 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 8 -12 slices provolone cheese (the more the merrier!)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan-romano cheese mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure to slice vegetables thinly and don't pack the dish too full of them, otherwise they won't cook through and through.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly coat 13x9 baking dish; set aside.
- Cook sausage and drain.
- Line dish with pizza dough, stretching to make crust go up sides of casserole dish (but take care not to make any holes).
- Spoon sauce evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle with spices.
- Layer meat, veggies, and top with cheese.
- Roll down crust sides.
- Bake 32 - 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and ramano blend once done baking.