Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy to put together. Sometimes I halve the ingredients and use an 8x8 dish. It can be made the night before and popped into the oven the next morning. (I let it sit out 30 minutes before baking).
- 6 slices bread
- 2 lbs bulk sausage
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 16 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups light cream or 2 cups milk
- Tear bread into small pieces and put into lightly greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Cook and crumble sausage.
- Drain sausage and place over bread.
- Layer mushrooms and then grated cheese evenly over sausage.
- Beat eggs,add light cream and mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350* for 30 to 45 minutes.
I liked this ok. My husband liked it a lot my kids ate it so that makes it a winner in my book.
Very good! I made it with bisquick biscuits instead of bread, and it was fantastic!
Made this for our Thanksgiving get-together at work. Everyone raved and had to have the recipe. I used Jimmy Dean's hot sausage to give it some zip and added 2 more slices of bread so that the bread covered my oversized 13 x 19 pan. Only used half the cheese--got lazy after hand grating 8 oz and it looked like enough on the casserole without having to grate the other 8 oz block of cheese. My DH can't wait for me to make it for him.