Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Flavorful and easy, and not your usual risotto.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth (I use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon dried sage or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- Bring water and wine to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add sausages and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes; sausages should be fully cooked but still juicy.
- Drain sausages (discard water/wine) and cut them into 1/2 inch slices, reserving sausage juices.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Saute rice until golden brown.
- Add onion and bell pepper and saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Simmer rice for about 45 minutes, until creamy.
- Just before rice is cooked, add sausage juices and sage.
- Stir in sausage slices and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Very tasty. Would definitely make again. I had zucchini and carrots instead of bell pepper to go with the onions, and they went well. I might try to bake it in a covered pan next time.