Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this newspaper clipping tucked away among some old papers I was searching through, but don't know what newspaper it came from. Sounds perfect for these cold nights!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces beef sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 cups beef stock
- 8 ounces kidney beans, with liquid
- 5 cups cabbage, shredded
- 6 new potatoes, quartered (do not peel)
- 1⁄8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot.
- Saute onions and garlic just until soft and transparent. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add sausage chunks to pan and brown all over, about 3-5 minutes.
- Return onions and garlic to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often to keep from burning.
- Reduce heat, simmer 45-60 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
Great soup, doesn't take long to make and has a lot more flavor than other cabbage soups I have tried. My neighbor brought me a basketball size cabbage out of his garden today and I used about a 1/4 of it to make a big pot of this soup. This one's a keeper for sure.
This is a really flavourful, easy to throw together soup! The sausage is really nice with the tomato and paprika. Made exactly as stated. Wouldn't change a thing. Thanks Culinary Queen!