Recipe by Gloria 15x
Great baked beans. These aren't the sweet version.
Top Review by Jo Anne
Loved this less sweet version--A very satisfying dish. Served with cole slaw on the side. Easy to make with ingredients I generally have on hand. I only had sweet Italian sausage, so I added some red pepper flakes. Didn't add any brown sugar since my baked beans already had extra brown sugar in them. Used tomato sauce and regular mustard.
- 1⁄2 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 16 ounces butter beans, drained
- 16 ounces pork and beans, undrained
- 16 ounces kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces tomatoes or 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Crumble sausage, chop bacon, and fry.
- Reserve the drippings and cook onions until tender. Pour off excess fat.
- Combine meat, onions and remaining ingredients in a 2 quart casserole.
- Bake covered at 375F for 40 minutes,uncovered for 20 minutes.
- You can use a crockpot and simmer on low forever. About 2 hours before serving, remove the lid and allow it to continue to simmer.