Recipe by Hey Jude
In honor of the World Cup Games, this recipe comes from the German Agricultural Marketing Board and was in the 6/7/06 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times FOOD section. If you can get pretzel rolls, definitely use them, they're extremely delicious.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded german emmenthaler cheese, divided
- 1 cup sauerkraut, squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons medium-hot German mustard, plus extra for spreading on buns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 pretzel rolls or 4 other sandwich buns, split horizontally and toasted
- red onion ring
- sliced tomatoes
- lettuce leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine turkey, 1 cup Emmentaler cheese, sauerkraut, bread crumbs, egg white, mustard, caraway seeds (if using), salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix together. Evenly shape into 4 patties.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place burgers in skillet and cook, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Sprinkle burgers evenly with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Spread rolls with additional German mustard. Place burgers on buns and top with your choice of pickles, onions, tomatoes and lettuce.