Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort Food. The first time my Dad was going to try this ... he was not very willing. Turkey ... no beef, cinnimon and nutmeg ... what is that? A little heat to make it spicy and you have an amazing chili. He was hooked. I top it with my Pepper Jack cheese and fresh chopped up avocado and tomato and you have an amazing chili.
- 1 lb ground turkey (you can use chicken)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans (don't rinse or drain)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (1 quart) box chicken broth, approximately 3 cans
- 1 (15 ounce) can white corn
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (more or less depending of your taste, I happen to like lots of garlic, but use what you like)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (or a all purpose seasoning, no salt involved)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- olive oil, for sauteing
- sour cream
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup diced avocado
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Saute -- In a large pot, saute onions, celery, pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes, add the turkey or chicken and cook until brown.
- Add all the seasonings, tomatoes, beans, chilies, corn and any remaining ingredients. Yes it is spicy, but adjust accordingly. It really isn't as hot as you might expect. Cook a good hour or so till everything combines well.
- Mix the diced avocado and tomato with lime, salt and pepper and top on the chili. Add a dollop of sour cream and some cheese and you have amazing chili.
- Not a spice fan -- just omit the hot sauce and go light on the chili powder. To me I add more heat, but I understand. But it is a great chili.
This was a great chili. My family ate it up!
Full of flavor & so healthy, too. I did cut back on the hot sauce...I'm a wimp. I didn't have any allspice, but I followed the rest of the instructions as written. This was an excellent Autumn recipe.
This is delicious. i used one whole yellow and one whole red pepper but that was the only thing I changed. What a nice compliment of flavors! I let it sit a day (not by design, just happened) and I think the flavor only got better. Great healthy recipe!