Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An easy Egyptian recipe. This tasty cake is from the kitchen of one of my students. Lovely to have with coffee.
- .Whisk eggs and sugar with vanilla sugar until thick and creamy.
- Add the melted butter and the water to the egg mixture.
- Beat for another minute.
- Sift the flour and gently fold it into the mixture, adding the dates and the chopped walnuts. Add the cinnamon to the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased tin measuring 28cm x 18cm.
- Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- When ready, the slices will be golden brown on the surface and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Prepare the lemon icing.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and the softened butter.
- Mix these ingredients together until smooth in consistency.
- When the slices are cool, spread the lemon icing on top.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into approximately 16 slices.