Cook1 hr 30 mins
I have worked long and hard on perfecting this soup. This is by far is my favorite soup ever. If you love it the first day, it's even better the second day after it sits in the fridge for several hours and is reheated. I usually make a double or triple batch of this recipe and freeze it for quick & easy 10 minute meals throughout the month. Garnishing with the toasted tortilla strips completes this dish. It adds the perfect "crunch" to this soup and you just about can't get enough! So don't leave them out! Control the spice intensity by deciding whether or not to add the jalapeno seeds... I leave them in! Enjoy!
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, roasted
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 (10 ounce) cans rotel
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced & broiled
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
- 4 -8 flour tortillas, sliced thinly & toasted
- mexican cheese, shredded
- avocado, diced
- sour cream
- In a heavy pot, bring broth to a boil. Add roasted garlic, oregano, Rotel, chopped onion, jalapenos, bell pepper, corn and black beans to the stocks.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Broil the sliced onions until soft and brown.
- Add broiled onions, quinoa, mushrooms and chicken to stocks and simmer for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- The longer you simmer, the more the flavors meld and spices release!
- Garnish with toasted tortilla strips, shredded cheese, avocado & sour cream.