Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make, it can be an appetizer or a full meal, depends how hungry you are.
- 1⁄2 kg ground chicken (check options)
- 1 (8 ounce) can chestnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots
- 6 spring onions
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms (if not available any fresh mushroom will do)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oil
- 1 head lettuce (separate lettuce leafs, wash, dry and place in refrigerator, will keep them nice and crispy)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sweet sherry
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Chop spring onions very finely, same with mushrooms, chestnuts and bamboo shoots (this three last, I normally mince them, find it very easy).
- In a wok or deep frying pan, heat oil and fry chicken mince till golden, add onion, chestnut, bamboo shoots and mushrooms, cook for another 5 minutes, add sauce and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Keep stirring while adding ingredients.
- Place in a bowl and take to table, same with lettuce leafs.
- Place some filling into leaf, roll or fold leaf and enjoy.
- options: can be used pork mince, beef mince, finely chopped fresh shrimp (requires less cooking time) or combination of meats, it's up to you.
- Combine all and mix well.
I'm editing my review of July 17, 05 because I wanted to mention that I chose to understand the chestnuts in the ingredient list to be water chestnuts, because I think they are more appropriate for this dish. My original review was: I do think this is a good basic recipe. I took some liberties with it - I used julienned chicken strips rather than ground chicken and reconstituted dried shiitake mushrooms, which may be why I felt the mixture was too dry. I made 1.5 times the amount of sauce and that was good. However, I did cut back considerably on the allspice (I knew I wouldn't like it if I didn't), and, after tasting, added some grated fresh ginger. Overall, I was quite pleased with the results, and will make this again. I may try using 5-spice rather than allspice next time. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.