Recipe by the accidental glutton
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen (www.smittenkitchen.com), this adult variation on Rice Krispie Treats is amazing! You'll love the slight nuttiness imparted by the brown butter & the hint of sea salt & spice.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, melt butter over low heat. Keep a close eye on the butter, stirring constantly, until it turns a light caramel color and begins to smell nutty. Do not let the butter burn. Add the marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows melt & the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the salt & pinch of cayenne pepper, followed by the Rice Krispies. If your pot isn’t very big, I find that adding the cereal in two batches helps you not make as much of a mess on the floor!
- Quickly turn the mixture into prepared pan and press into edges and corners using a piece of waxed paper.
- Let cool, cut into squares and enjoy!