Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe combines two of my favorite foods--potatoes and salmon. To make same day preparation easier, cook the salmon and potatoes the day before. This is a "wow" brunch dish. Gracious Country Inns & Favorite Recipes.
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large potatoes, cooked peeled,drained and mashed
- 2 1⁄2 lbs salmon fillets, baked,skin and bones removed
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, seasoned with
- cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, for reheating
- Saute onion in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, add sauteed onions, mashed potatoes, salmon, heavy cream, melted butter, mace, nutmeg, salt, pepper, egg and dill.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Form 4-inch patties by hand and dip each side in the seasoned bread crumbs and refrigerate until ready for use.
- (Can be done one day ahead.).
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium heat in a saute pan, and place patties in it until heated through, turning once.
- Serve with a poached egg and Hollandaise sauce, if you like.
The flavor in these is very good and deserving of more stars. The nutmeg, mace, & dill combo really worked and gave salmon patties a new spark. That said, I had problems with the recipe. The mixture was soft, hard to form and coat with the breadcrumbs. I also found that the butter listed was far from enough to pan fry the patties. The fresh breadcrumbs soaked it up very quickly and I had to add oil. The patties completely fell apart during cooking. They tasted good though. =) I will play with this one again. Thank you Olga!!!