Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
Nice change from beef or pork, and good for a busy day. I usually serve mine with fried potatoes and peas, but I have also served them in a bun as a sandwich.
- 1 (15 ounce) can salmon
- 1 egg
- 10 -14 saltine crackers, crushed (not too fine)
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- Drain salmon and remove skin and bones.
- Add egg, cracker crumbs, milk, salt and pepper to salmon and mix well.
- Press salmon mixture into 4 equal patties. (I find the firmer the better. A hamburger press works very good for this.).
- Heat oil in a fry pan over meduim heat. When oil has been heated add butter and let it melt.
- When butter has melted add patties to the pan and fry 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Pretty good! My family always added leftover mashed potatoes. We always put them in the fridgefor an hour to help them set before frying
I've tried salmon patties with oatmeal and bread crumbs before, but never with crackers. I thought it was a little odd at first, but it tasted pretty good.They didn't seem too well bound, and broke some while turning them. But all in all, not a bad effort. I also added a little chopped onion out of habit.