In the October '03 issue of Savuer, there was an article on canned tuna and lots of recipes, both traditional American and Italian, to use it in. One recipe was for a scratch version of the usual tuna noodle casserole with mushroom soup. The thought of tuna hot dish really puts me off, but for some reason, this recipe intrigued me and I wanted to try it with salmon. I made some significant improvements on their recipe and here is the delicious result. The only problem I had was getting the sauce to thicken, but I think that was because I was using 1% milk instead of whole. I'm sure this would be a tasty vegetarian dish without the fish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans boneless skinless salmon, drained
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grated strong cheese (I used a combination of gruyere and fontina)
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, approx (I crushed two slices of toast in the blender)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2Put a pot of water on the stove to boil for the noodles.
- 3Make a marinade for the mushrooms from a little olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano and balsamic vinegar.
- 4Coat mushrooms well and place in a foil-lined pan, stem side up.
- 5Pour any remaining marinade onto mushrooms.
- 6Bake in oven until soft, approx.
- 715 minutes.
- 8Add noodles to boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes until tender.
- 9Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- 10Remove mushrooms from oven and cut into large dice.
- 11Add to noodles along with peas, peppers and salmon.
- 12In a medium saucepan, melt the 5 T butter.
- 13Add the crushed garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrent.
- 14Then add flour and whisk constantly for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- 15Add milk and stir constantly until thickened, approx.
- 162 minutes.
- 17Remove sauce from heat and add cheese and seasonings.
- 18Pour sauce over noodle mixture and toss to distribute evenly.
- 19Pour mixture into buttered casserole.
- 20Combine melted butter and breadcrumbs.
- 21Top casserole with breadcrumbs.
- 22Bake casserole in oven for 10-15 minutes until browned.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon Noodle Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.8
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 117.1 mg
- Sodium 451.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 27.3 g