Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
DH & I were the lucky recipients of a lrg amt of fresh salmon recently. 18 lbs went to be smoked & the rest is in our freezer, so I've been on a mission to expand my salmon horizons. The Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute has been my best source & they didn't disappoint me w/this truly special potato salad that ranks right behind "my mama's best" for me. They described it as a side-dish, but I've used it more as a hearty 1-dish salad meal & just served it w/crusty bread & a variety of veggie/salad items at its side (sliced tomato & cucumber, olives, hard-boiled eggs, etc). Times were estimated & do not include time spent cooking the potatoes. This is a must try! Enjoy! (Edited to Add: To halve this recipe, use 1/2 can salmon & the rest of the ingredients halve easily. Then w/the unused canned salmon, make salmon patties to accompany the salad.)
- 418.15 g can salmon (drained & flaked)
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 4.92 ml garlic (minced)
- 354.88 ml fat-free mayonnaise
- 78.07 ml red onion (diced)
- 78.07 ml celery (diced)
- 1133.98 g red potatoes (cooked & quartered with skin left on)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Put mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, onion & celery in a lrg mixing bowl & combine well.
- Add salmon & potatoes & gently mix all ingredients together to coat. Taste & add salt & pepper to suit individual pref.
- Chill for 1-3 hrs for best results. Garnish w/fresh cilantro & serve.
- NOTE: # of servings & serving size will depend on whether you use it as a side dish or 1-dish meal.
This was awesome! I had 1/2 a piece of grilled salmon left over and a smallish leftover baked potato so I kind of guessed at the amounts for the rest of the ingredients to make salad for one. Made for CQ 14.
OK, this is now officially my new favourite way of eating salmon! Yumm! Made 1/2 recipe and did change the dressing a bit: I'm not too fond mayonnaise alone so I used half mayonnaise and half plain yogurt. Turned out very well! I love the fresh cilantro in this - it really makes the dish for me. Thank you so much for the recipe! Edited to add: I've discovered I like this even better lukewarm! I nuke the salad a bit after it has sat in the fridge (just so it isn't decidedly cold anymore), and ohh! Bliss!
Outstanding! This salad is simply fabulous. I was able to make this according to the instructions...the combination, especially the fresh cilantro, made this unusual (to me) salad fantastic. My husband loved it too. Thanks so much! (Made for Zaar tag.)