This tasty beef and potato salad makes a beautiful and delicious addition to a cold buffet. Although it does take some time to prepare, it is well worth the effort. A bonus is that you have a good beef broth that you can easily make into soup by adding vegetables and noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef shank
- 3 large scraped carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 4 whole large peeled potatoes
- 3 quarts water
- 3 medium no-garlic dill pickles
- 3/4 cup frozen tiny peas, thawed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- yellow mustard
- vegetables, for garnishing
- 1Place beef shank, carrots, split parsley root, whole onion, celery, salt and peppercorns in soup pot.
- 2Add water and cook as you would for soup.
- 3When meat has cooked completely, remove pot from stove and strain into another pot.
- 4Discard onion and peppercorns.
- 5Remove meat and vegetables to large plate.
- 6Remove all visible fat and gristle from meat while it is still hot.
- 7Then cool completely and chill meat and veggies, preferably overnight.
- 8While these are cooling, cook the whole peeled potatoes in the soup stock until just done, taking care not to allow them to become mushy.
- 9Remove from soup and chill.
- 10When meat and vegetables are cold, cut all into small dice, no larger than 3/8".
- 11Place in mixing bowl.
- 12Finely chop dill pickles and add to meat mixture together with thawed peas.
- 13Squeeze lemon juice over all.
- 14Taste, and add salt if required. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste and mix well.
- 15Now add enough mayonnaise just to bind the ingredients together.
- 16Spoon out mixture onto oval serving platter and shape with back of spoon or spatula into oval shape about 2" thick.
- 17Mix a small amount of mustard into 1/2 cup mayonnaise to color it somewhat and frost the meat mixture with this.
- 18Decorate the salad with cut vegetables like slivers of green pepper, strips of wilted chives, slivered olives, or simply with fluffs of parsley.
- 19Chill till serving time.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salata De Boeuf
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.3
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.2 mg
- Sodium 1165.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 17.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef shank