Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Skip Cannes' Film Festival, eat these instead! From my favorite Mediterranean cookbook Mediterranean Light. Although most would consider this more of a summer sandwich, I will freely admit that I have indulged my craving for these in the dead of winter. Two words as to the success of this recipe: freshness and quality.
- 3 French baguettes (or 6 French rolls, such as pain du campagne also known as "country bread")
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 head loose leaf lettuce, chopped small
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 lb tomatoes, firm but ripe, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced (sometimes I substitute cornichons or Capote capers)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
- 6 1⁄2 ounces fresh tuna, cooked (or equivalent good-quality canned tuna, drained)
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs, NOT dried (for example, basil, parsley, thyme, tarragon-one herb alone or in combination)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- Sandwiches: Cut the baguette (or rolls) in half lengthwise. Scoop out a little bit of the bread from the center of the baguette and set aside. Take half of the garlic clove and rub the inside of the bread.
- In a small bowl, mix together the red wine vinegar and plain yogurt, drizzling a small amount onto the baguette.
- Salad: Toss the bread crumbs together with the vegetables, eggs, tuna and anchovies if using.
- Salad Dressing: Mix together well the vinegar, Dijon mustard, other half of garlic clove-finely minced, salt and cracked pepper to taste; add herbs. Whisk in the olive oil and yogurt.
- Toss the salad dressing gently with the salad mixture. Mound the salad evenly onto the top of one baguette slice then add the other slice. Cut each baguette into 3 equal slices.
- Press down on the sandwich together well without smashing and wrap tightly with foil.
- Refrigerate baguette 1 hour. Consume within 2 hours or the sandwiches will turn soggy.