Recipe by Jeff's Girl Way Out West
This is NOT an ordinary lettuce salad, but then, I've never liked run-of-the-mill much! Don't let the list of ingredients scare you, as the flavors and textures go well together. My husband and visitors scarfed up every last bit of this! The recipe is from a MOPS (Mothers of Pre-schoolers) cookbook. I've typed it as it is in the cookbook, but I tweaked it as follows when I made it: At the point of adding the "dressing" (marinade) to the salad, I used only enough of the marinade liquid to sufficiently moisten the salad. Prep/cook times include 6 hours for marinating.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 8 -16 ounces spinach leaves
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce
- 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 lb bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- For Marinade:.
- Mix together oil, vinegar and sugar.
- Microwave for 30-60 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Add in poppy seeds, grated onion, salt and mustard.
- Add mushrooms and sliced onion and let marinate 6 hours or overnight.
- For salad:.
- Toss together spinach, lettuce, Swiss cheese and cottage cheese.
- Just before serving, toss with mushroom marinade mixture.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.