Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
My husband found this recipe in the Chicago Tribune. The crunchy pecans and dressing make the salad work. We loved it.
- oil, for baking sheet
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons corn oil or 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite size (Romaine recommended)
- 3 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare pecans, lightly oil 2 baking sheets. Stir together pecans and maple syrup in small bowl to coat nuts with syrup. Spread pecans in single layer on one of the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake about 5 minutes, stirring once, until syrup is bubbling vigorously. Immediately spread glazed pecans in single layer on the other prepared baking sheet. Cool. Nuts will become crisp as they cool.
- For salad, in small bowl, whisk together garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, maple syrup, mustard and wine vinegar. Continue whisking while adding oil in a thin stream.
- Toss greens in a large bowl with enough dressing to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle salad with blue cheese, then the glazed pecans and serve.