Recipe by Tisme
I remember my mum making this when I was younger. Back in those good old days.... you know the ones, when you are younger and you would sometimes turn up your nose at these things! Well older and wiser and now paying for my own groceries, I have dug this up from the recipe form Mums recipes and now ...shock horror... making and eating it it myself!! My family love this in summer and I always have it on hand. I have never kept it very long when I make it so I am not sure how long it does keep, but I have listed a few variations under the recipe that you can use to jazz it up for different foods also. I also keep my cream in the refrigerator once opened.
Top Review by Elly in Canada
I prepared this for the Photo Swap. This is a tasty dressing,the tart, sweet, mustard flavours blend well. I served it over cold poached salmon on a plate of salad. The French mustard 'stone-ground with horseradish' I used gave the dressing a bit of a bite which was great with the salmon. The little specks in the photo are mustard seeds!! Thanks for posting Tisme, a delicious salad cream.
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon French mustard
- 125 g butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients, with pepper (to taste) into a pan and whisk together until blended. Heat gently, whisking all the time until the mixture thickens.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars or bottles and seal.
- Variations~ Add either tomato paste, anchovy sauce, curry powder, chopped hard boiled eggs etc for any flavouring of your preferred choice.
- Add any chopped herbs which compliment the food being served. E.G. Add Tarragon for chicken, Basil for pasta.
- Add chopped capers, gherkins, parsley, tarragon and chervil to make a tartar type cream to serve with fish.