Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A requested recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 1 cup diced chicken (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron (either powdered or threads-let soak in 1 tbsp. hot water for a few minutes)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- Rinse rice several times.
- Cook rice in rice cooker or put rice in medium sauce pan along with 2 1/2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer with the pan covered about 15 to 20 minutes or until the rice is firm, but not mushy.
- Pour out any remaining water (if any) and set aside.
- Beat the eggs, yogurt, saffron water, and oil together.
- It should look like a creamy yellow sauce.
- Add rice and stir until all rice is coated with sauce.
- Turn into a 2 quart greased pyrex bowl or a 9 x 9 glass baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides and invert onto serving dish.
- The outside will be a nice brown.
- Garnish with green and red grapes or lettuce or anything else you might wish.
Sorry, but this was flat to me. I think it at least needs salt. Perhaps I should have known to cook the rice with salted water?
Married to an Iranian, I have been cooking Persian meals for many years. Your recipe is exactly like mine except that I add a little salt when cooking the rice. I must say this was simply delicious. Mamnoon