Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The national dish of Algeria, from http://www.thegutsygourmet.net
Make and share this Saffron & Raisin Couscous With Fresh Mint recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3⁄4 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups couscous
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add the saffron. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Return the pan to the heat, bring to a boil, and mix in the olive oil, salt, couscous, and raisins.Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Using a fork and your fingertips, fluff the couscous to separate the grains. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Stir in the mint.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Wow, this was terrific couscous! I have lots of fresh mint growing, so was able to use a little of that and we all loved it. Made for ZWT 6 :)
A contender for one of my favourite dishes I have tried on the world tour. It was easy, healthy and tasted great. I had a little less fresh mint than I needed. So, I stirred through a bit of dried mint too and it worked really nicely with the rest of the ingredients. I served this alongside salmon and it was a nice pairing. Made for Zee Zany Zesty Cookz for ZWT6.
This is a very nice little side dish. I divided the dish in two and put raisins in one half as directed by the recipe and used dried cranberries in the other half as DD doesn't like raisins. The fresh mint was lovely. Made for ZWT6 SSaSSy's.