Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Homemade gourmet...no?!? Adapted from USA Rice International.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1 dash ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth, heated and kept warm
- 3 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sliced black olives
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; season with salt and white pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, onions, red bell pepper and celery. Cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet until hot. Add rice and saffron; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; stir until absorbed. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook uncovered, until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently. Continue stirring and adding remaining 1 cup broth and water, one cup at a time; allow each cup to be absorbed before adding another, until rice is tender and has a creamy consistency, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, olives, cream and chicken mixture; heat thoroughly. Serve immediately.