Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The vinegar adds a bit of a bite
- 354.88 ml water
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 591.47 ml bread flour
- 236.59 ml rye flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml dark corn syrup
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 44.37 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml instant coffee granules
- 14.79 ml caraway seed
- 1.23 ml fennel seed (optional)
- 9.85 ml active dry yeast
- Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
- Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
- After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.
This bread has a beautiful, tender crumb with the bonus of a thin, crispy crust (baked in the round and sprinkled on oats). I found the cocoa, or maybe it's the vinegar, to have 'bite' and probably would cut back a tad. It brought to mind that I wish I had a hot Russian boyfriend to impress...but I don't think my husband would permit it.