Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are tasty little pasties perfect for hand-held eating. Great to take along for a cool-weather picnic if you have a way to keep them warm, or just good comfort food on a chilly evening. I'm trying to figure out how best to freeze these for OAMC, so I can just pop one in the oven when I come home from school and have no energy to do anything. Any tips on that would be welcome. Additionally, I'm planning on using a homemade whole grain bread instead of the frozen storebought dough, but I don't have a recipe for that right now.
- 1 lb loaf frozen bread dough
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large minced garlic clove
- 1 cup grated cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup minced bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Thaw dough and let rise until nearly doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brown beef in skillet; drain excess fat. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and spices. Cook until cabbage and onion are tender, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Roll dough into a 16x8-inch rectangle, approx 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 (4-inch) squares. Fill each square with 2 T of beef mixture.
- To make pasties: Bring corners to center and pinch edges together. Place seam side down on ungreased baking sheet. Brush with softened butter. Let rest 10 minutes. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Since I live a block away from a real Runza, and crave it all the time, I was delighted to find this recipe, which boasts the most authentic spice combination of the other recipes on the 'Zaar. Runzas have that unique European flavor and are tradionally made without cheese (though you can get them in many combinations now), I really like this recipe. I used Napa cabbage and a bread machine hamburger bun dough in place of the frozen bread dough. My yield was six medium size Runzas.