Similar to Colcannon, this is a Scottish dish. It can be made well in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before baking. It's very easy and inexpensive to make. Even my husband, who hates cabbage, loves it in this dish.
- Butter an 8 cup baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook cabbage in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage to a bowl.
- Return water to a boil and add potatoes.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain and return potatoes to the pot.
- Add butter and mash potatoes.
- Mix in chives and then cabbage.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into prepared dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 35 minutes until cheese bubbles.