Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe Courtesy of Cooking Light, something different for last outside party. Prep time is also include time for grill.
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant minced garlic
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 16 slices tomatoes, 1/4 inch-thick (about 3 tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 8 slices red onions, 1/2 inch-thick (about 2 onions)
- 16 slices sourdough bread (1-ounce each)
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- To prepare marinade, combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Trim fat from steak, and add steak to bag.
- Seal and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove the steak from bag, reserving marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave marinade at HIGH 1 minute or until mixture boils.
- To prepare flavored mayonnaise, combine mayonnaise and horseradish, and set aside.
- Prepare grill.
- Place steak and red onion slices on a grill rack, and grill onions 4 minutes on each side, basting with the reserved marinade.
- Remove onions from grill.
- Turn the steak, and grill an additional 8 minutes or until steak is desired degree of doneness.
- Remove steak from grill.
- Place bread slices on grill rack, and grill 2 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Spread 1 tablespoon flavored mayonnaise on one side of each of 8 toasted bread slices.
- Divide steak, onion slices, lettuce, and tomato slices evenly among 8 bread slices.
- Top with remaining bread slices.