4 hrs 20 mins
I found this recipe in my mom's recipe box. It came from a restaurant in Washington DC, The Flagship, which was a family favorite when I was growing up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 ounce dried yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raisins, cut into pieces
- 1Pour scalded milk over 1/4 cup sugar, shortening and salt.
- 2Cool to lukewarm and sprinkle yeast into it. Beat with rotary beater until smooth.
- 3Add beaten egg and 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract.
- 4Add half the flour and beat with rotary beater until smooth.
- 5Add remaining flour and mix until smooth. Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place (80 to 85 degrees) until double in bulk - about 3 hours.
- 6Roll dough into 2 strips, each 12 inches long, 1/2 inch thick and 4 inches wide.
- 7Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and raisins. Roll up, pulling dough out at edges to keep it uniform.
- 8It should be 15 inches long when rolled.
- 9Cut rolls in crosswise slices 3/4 inch thick. Place in 3 inch greased muffin tins; cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- 10Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 11**To make icing, blend confectioners sugar, hot water and rum extract.
- 12As soon as rolls are taken from oven, brush top with the icing.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rum Buns
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.8
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 11.0 mg
- Sodium 132.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 10.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g