Recipe by Oolala
From a cookbook called Down Jersey Cooking by Joe Colanero. This has such interesting ingredients and it was shared by Bill Cutts, a 4th generation cranberry grower from Burlington County. This recipe is their family favorite.
- 4 lbs chicken parts, with skin
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 cup craisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups molasses
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt.
- In a large stewing pan, brown chicken pieces, in butter and oil a few at a time. Don't crowd pan.
- Add onion, orange juice, tabasco, cinnamon and ginger.
- Cover and simmer 30-35 minutes until chicken is tender. Remove chicken to a platter and keep warm.
- Add cranberries, sugar and molasses to skillet. Cook uncovered 5 minutes; stirring occasionaly.
- Blend cornstarch and cold water and add to the skillet stirring rapidly.
- Cook until sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve.