Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
Adapted from Clean Eating Magazine (http://cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Clean-Reuben-Sandwich.aspx) to fit my tastes and dietary restrictions.
- 2 pita bread, halves
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese, Veggie Shreds slices
- 2 ounces lean ham, low-sodium uncured sliced
- 1 ounce turkey breast, deli-fresh low-sodium sliced
- 2 cups white cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups red cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parsley, Italian-leaf chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
SWEET TOMATO DRESSING
- 1⁄4 cup silken tofu
- 5 grape tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 dash sea salt (optional)
- Prepare coleslaw: In a medium bowl, combine cabbages, carrots and parsley. Stir in vinegar, tofu, stevia, pepper and salt, if desired. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Sweet Tomato Dressing: In a small bowl, stir together tofu, tomatoes, stevia and salt until evenly mixed. While stirring, mash tomatoes to release their juices. Set aside.
- Assemble pockets:.
- Spreading 2 tbsp Sweet Tomato Dressing inside pita (covering both sides).
- Place 1/2 oz cheese on bottom of pits.
- Add 1 oz ham and 1/2 oz turkey over top of cheese.
- Pile about 1/4 cup coleslaw on top of ham and turkey.
- Finish with second slice of bread and press firmly.
- Broil sandwich in toaster oven or oven for 2 minutes, flip and broil for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with 3/4 cup coleslaw on the side.