Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This was a "feel-good" recipe that was handed down through the years at the local firehouse
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut 3/4 " thick
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Trim fat from meat.
- Cut steak into serving size portions.
- Place onion in a 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker.
- Place meat on top of onion.
- In a small bowl combine soup, oregano, thyme, and pepper.
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- If desired, serve with hot cooked pasta.
This was a really good recipe, making round steak melt in your mouth. I didn't happen to have a can of cream of celery in the house, so I had to use Fat Free Cream of Chicken instead (it was the only cream soup I had in the house). For the Dried Oregano, I picked some fresh from the garden, microwaved it to dry it out, then added it to the mixture. After reading some of the other reviews, I decided to add a little salt to it, but added 1/4 tsp. of garlic salt. Overall, loved it and will try it with the cream of celery next time. Served it over wildgrain and brown rice.
Sorry, this one didn't do it for us....meat was tender but the flavor was just not there. Had to add lots of salt, as per other reviewer.
For my summer vacation I spent 2 nights with each of my 3 married children and cooked or them. I chose this one for my very picky SIL. I was excited when he had seconds! The meat was fork-tender and we served the gravy over mashed potatoes. The only addition I made was quite a bit of salt. Quick to prepare and delicious.