1/1 Photo of ROTI 2000 (Unleavened Baked Vegetable Bread)
kusum gupta's Note:
This bread is unexcelled in nutrition and aroma; a favorite with many. You will see everybody waiting for them as they come hot from the oven. Use any vegetable or flours that you like. You can freeze them if desired; warm in the oven just as any piece of bread before eating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped vegetables, such as onion,spinach,carrots,scallions
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (+ ½ cup for dusting)
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1/2 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Puree the vegetables and yogurt in a blender until smooth.
- 2Mix with all the flours and salt and knead the dough, adding water as needed, until it becomes smooth and supple.
- 3Cover with a kitchen towel and rest the dough for at least an hour in a warm place.
- 4Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight before using.
- 5Put a cookie sheet on top or middle shelf in the oven, preheat at broil.
- 6(Can also preheat the oven to 500°F.) Divide the dough in about 12 pieces and make smooth balls, working between your palms, using flour as needed, and flatten into about 2" round patties.
- 7Make all the patties and cover with a towel.
- 8Dust a flat surface with little flour.
- 9Roll each patty into a round 5 to 6" across, about 1/8" thick.
- 10Note: Roll 5 to 6'Roti' and start baking.
- 11With practice, you'll be able to roll the next batch of'Roti' while the previous one is baking.
- 12Slide 4 to 6'Roti' on the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven.
- 13Make sure that the oven stays hot; open the oven door a little if the oven turns off.
- 14When light brown specks appear on the top (after 1 to 2 minutes), turn each Roti to bake the other side.
- 15It should become fluffy and crisp with light brown patches on both sides.
- 16(Do not over-brown because that makes the Roti hard.) Bake all Roti this way.
- 17Spread little butter on one side of each'Roti', if desired.
- 18Stack them and wrap in aluminum foil to keep them warm and soft.
- 19Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for ROTI 2000 (Unleavened Baked Vegetable Bread)
Serving Size: 1 (629 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 88.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: