Through several trials and errors, this is what I've come up with. I hope you enjoy as much as my family does.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 bananas, overly ripened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup banana, mashed
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Add the mashed bananas; combining well. To this mixture, add the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, baking soda adn salt. Beat until well combined. Add the flour and nuts. Mixing to combine well.
- Pour into prepared, greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees. Depending on size of pan used; bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. You can bake this in any size or type pan. It's not a huge rising cake, so fill your pans accordingly.
- To make the frosting, mix powdered sugar, banana, butter and cream cheese. Stir in vanilla and enough milk to make spreading consistency. Frost cooled banana cake.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for larger quantity without trouble.
- One note on the bananas for the cake portion -- the riper the better! I actually prefer that the bananas to be engrossly black for this recipe.