Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A broth-based lamb stew using fresh herbs.
- 226.79 g lamb stew meat
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion
- 59.14 ml flour
- 709.77 ml hot chicken broth
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 stalk celery, plus some celery leaves, chopped
- 4-6 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 9.85 ml fresh rosemary
- 2.46 ml fresh thyme
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 1.23 ml sage
- 0.59 ml sea salt, to taste
- 0.59 ml black pepper, to taste
- 2.46 ml paprika
- 2.46 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 29.58 ml red wine (optional)
- Heat one tablespoon oil in cooking pot.
- Add onion, celery, and mushrooms, and cook until soft and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from pot and set aside.
- Heat the other tablespoon oil in the pot and add the meat.
- Sauté over medium heat until browned on all sides.
- Sprinkle flour and paprika over meat and cook a few minutes until the flour is lightly browned.
- Add hot broth and stir, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom (I use a wire whisk for this).
- Add remaining ingredients to the meat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer on medium-low heat for about an hour, or until meat is soft.
This was wonderful! Easy to make and delicious! I added 1 cup of carrots and next time will add some peas for color, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. This is the new family favorite!
Very tasty! I added some carrots for color, and also did it in the crockpot. All the fresh herbs made this taste and smell so good. ( I used all fresh herbs).
Instead of flouring meat and browning I put it in crockpot with water all day. Then that evening I added veggies and spices and a packet of brown gravy. Cooked it in crockpot on low till morning then made egg noodle dumplins, droped them in, and cooked on low till lunch.(could have eaten sooner if I needed to.) Yummy! Never had lamb before, so glad I found this recipe. Spices and veggies were a perfect combination. Served stew with homemade bread. Thanks Marlena!