Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A beginner-easy recipe that tastes harder to make than it is. This is one of my fallback, "I don't know what to make for dinner tonight," standards and the family never gets tire of it. The meat just falls off the bones! Its also a flavorful way to prepare chicken for use in the hundreds of recipes that call for pre-cooked chicken. With a family of 6 including low-carbers and hungry teens I usually double it in my 6qt oval but I wrote it the way I learned it 20 years ago.
- Put the chicken into your crock pot or dutch oven.
- Sprinkle with rosemary leaves and garlic slivers.
- Pour a little wine into the cavity and the rest into the bottom on the pot.
- Cook 6-8 hours in the crock pot on low or 3-4 hours at 300°F in the Dutch oven.
- Tip -- you may brown the chicken in olive oil first for a prettier bird, but since I remove the skin before serving I don't bother.
We really enjoyed this. I just used some chicken drumsticks and chicken broth with the Tbsp. of white wine vinegar as listed. I only cooked 2 hours and they were perfectly done. Easy, quick dinner! Thanks!
Seared some chicken leg quarters in my new Dutch Oven with a little olive oil and onions first and after baking in the oven the meat fell off the bones after about 3 hours. I used about 2 tsp. rosemary and 1 TBS. granulated garlic since I ran out of fresh garlic. We used the meat wrapped in tortilla shells and it was fantastic! Thank you for sharing.