Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
An interesting savory taste. Well worth the time & effort
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (not dried)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sanding sugar (available in cake- or food specialty stores)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix butter and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add flour, rosemary and salt; mix on low speed until incorporated. Divide dough in half; shape each piece into a log. Place each log on a 12-inch by-16-inch piece of parchment. Roll in parchment to 1 1/2 inches in diameter, pressing a ruler along the edge of parchment at each turn to narrow log and force out air. Transfer to paper towel tubes. Freeze 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll logs in sanding sugar; slice 1/4 inch thick. Arrange 1 inch apart on prepared sheet. Bake until edges are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool.