Recipe by dicentra
from food Republik blog
Top Review by Lalaloula
1/2 recipe = 6 scones These biscuits are very, very good! They bake up very flaky with a lovely crunchy crust and such a yummy gouda and rosemary flavour! Mmmm, I could have eaten the whole batch myself. lol I made half the recipe ending up with 6 big biscuits. I used fresh rosemary and changed the flour to whole spelt flour due to dietary reasons. The biscuits baked up perfectly in the time stated and were gone in a flash! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, dicentra! Made and reviewed for Magic of Herbs June 2010.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk (you can make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice to 2/3 cup milk and letting i)
- 1⁄3 cup gouda cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried rosemary (double the amount if you use fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk, for brushing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 F (about 200 C).
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour using your fingertips, until the mixture becomes a fine crumble, like cornmeal.
- Crumble the rosemary needles in your hand and add them to the mixture.
- Add the cheese and toss to combine.
- Pour in the buttermilk and fold in gently with a spatula until mixture forms a sticky dough.
- Divide roughly into 8 and drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until golden on top or a toothpick comes out clean.