Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is from a cookbook my friend, Gaye, gave me, "Great Dinner Parties" by Barbara Myers. I first served this at at dinner party in 1981. It's a simple, yet delicious salad. It may be prepared partially in advance.
- 2 heads boston lettuce, to make 4 quarts of torn greens (also known as butter lettuce)
- 3 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pull whole leaves from core of lettuce, tearing off and discarding any brown edges.
- Wash carefully under the faucet to remove any dirt;let drain about 5 minutes in a colander.
- Shake off excess water and wrap loosely in paper toweling and store in refrigerator to crisp.( Since these leaves are delicate, tear them just before serving).
- To make the salad dressing, combine the crumbled cheese,salt, pepper, and dry mustard in a screw-top jar.
- Gradually whisk in the vinegar to blend the other ingredients, then add the oil and shake until well combined.The salad can be prepared in advance to this point. Serve within a few hours.
- When ready to serve, tear the lettuce into rather large pieces, leaving the smaller leaves whole; put into the salad bowl.
- Shake the dressing to blend, then pour over the leaves.
- Toss gently to coat the leaves, place on individual plates and serve immediately.