Recipe by crys loves to cook
This a recipe I tore out of an O magazine a few years ago. It's a Delicious version of Ropa Vieja. I serve it over white rice with crusty bread. One suggestion is to cut the meat in smaller pieces after or before you shred it to make it easier to eat. Takes some time to make but well worth it to me. Enjoy, Cook time includes prep time and it is guesstimated, if that is a word.
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks, trimmed of excess fat cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 7 tablespoons oil (I use olive oil but you can use canola or vegetable)
- 3 large Spanish onions (one quartered and two thinly sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored seeded, and thinly sliced
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, in juice crushed with fingers
- 1⁄2 cup sliced Spanish olives (I never use that many)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season flank steak with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
- In 5-6 quart pot heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat and add meat in a single layer and cook until well browned. Remove to a plate and repeat until all meat is browned.
- In same pot, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat, add quartered onion, half green and yellow pepper. Cook stirring frequently until vegetables are browned about 5 minute.
- Add broth, bay leaves, peppercorns, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoons salt. add steak and any juices from the steak. The steak should be covered with broth, pour in addition broth if needed. bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until steak is fork tender, 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer steak to a plate. strain liquid and discard solids. Let the steak cool a bit and shred it.
- In the same pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add thinly sliced onions, green, red, and yellow peppers, garlic, salt, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Cook stirring frequently until onions and peppers soften.
- Stir in tomato paste until vegetables are coated. Stir in crushed tomatoes and their juices. Skim off any fat from the reserved liquid and add 2 1/2 cups and 1/4 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Return shredded steak to stew and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 2 minute Stir in olives. Taste and adjust seasoning to your tastes.
- Serve with black beans and white rice, boiled potatoes or fried plantains. makes 8 servings.