Recipe by cookiecutter _
A 90's recipe from Test Kitchen Favorites cookbook.
Top Review by Baking Carly
Really hearty and tasty soup :) I added a few garlic cloves and some beef stock in addition to the vegetable stock because I had WAY more vegetables than called for - and beef stock was in my fridge. Served it with some cornbread to complete the meal.
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) cansmall red beans, rinsed and drained (or garbanzo beans or Great Northern beans)
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large roasting pan toss parsnips, potato, rutabaga, carrots and onion with oil; sprinkle with salt.
- Spread vegetables in a single layer in the roasting pan.
- Roast for 15 - 20 minutes (or until vegetables start to brown), in a 450 degree F oven.
- In a large saucepan bring broth and beans to a boil and add roasted vegetable; reduced heat.
- Simmer, covered, 5 minutes (or until vegetables are tender).
- Stir in thyme.
- For a thicker soup, mash vegetables and beans slightly.