Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a quick and easy dish for a busy weeknight meal. Serve with a crisp side salad, corn bread, green onion and jalapeno peppers for a complete vegetarian meal. I usually cook brown rice and freeze in 2 to 2 1/2 cup bags for later use. If your rice is frozen just pop it into the microwave for a minute or 2 and then add to the bean mixture.
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 -3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candice cut canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Sauté the garlic, onion, carrot, bell pepper and celery in oil until tender.
- Add the chopped cilantro, basil and oregano.
- Stir in tomatoes and drained beans; add cooked rice and Parmesan cheese tossing all together.
- Heat through, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
Paula--exactly as promised--quick, easy and delicious--and healthy. What more could one ask? I loved the fact the vegetables maintained a certain level of crispiness which was a great foil for the velvety texture of the beans and the smoothness of the rice (I did use white rice which I cooked in a mixture of water and homemade stock). In addition, this is pretty to look at--the beans, the herbs, the peppers--great colors. Thanks, Paula!