Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
You are gonna love this! Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis from her show Everyday Italian, Episode: Dressing Up BBQ.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, halved
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 3 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb vine ripened tomatoes (about 3 tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup quartered marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
- Cook the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over low heat until thick, syrupy, and measuring 1/4 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Combine the olives, parsley, anchovies, capers, garlic, basil, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and toss to combine.
- To serve, slice the tomatoes into 1/4" thick rounds and place, slightly overlapping, on a serving plate. Place artichoke hearts, if using, over top of tomatoes.
- Spoon the olive and parsley mixture over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the salad and serve. Enjoy!
LOVED THIS. So my neighbor sent me an email and asked me to make this recipe along with the other recipes on Giada's show that day. The orzo salad, this salad and the balsamic BBQ sauce were all FABULOUS. It was my first time using anchovies. . .so I just used anchovy paste and it worked perfectly. I would definitely make this again! Thanks for posting, Sharon!
Truly outstanding! The balsamic reduction provides sweetness with a hint of tart. Using fresh ingredients is a must for this recipe. The vinegar was reduced to 1/4 cup; however, I think it was a little thick and will try this again with a little less reduction.
Wonderful way to serve tomatoes! I skipped the anchovy fillets but included the artichoke hearts for a wonderful summer salad that is simple to make as well as delicious! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having often this summer!