Recipe by mollypaul
This dough also works to make 4 dozen roggebroodjes (rolls) when shaped into balls and placed on a greased baking sheet. Brush with egg white and sprinkle with poppy seeds; bake for 20 minutes. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cake yeast
- 2 cups water, lukewarm
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 5 cups rye flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in water.
- Add milk, butter, salt, sugar and flours.
- Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down, shape into loaves and place in greased bread pans; let rise again until doubled.
- While dough is raising, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes, reduce heat to 350F and continue baking for an additional 40 minutes.
- Turn out onto cooling rack.