Recipe by podapo
Somewhat time consuming but OH so worth it.
Top Review by puppitypup
We liked this pie, but it wasn't sweet enough for our tastes. Also, the vanilla extract was overpowering. (I'm one of those that often doubles the vanilla as I love it, but 2 tablespoons in this pie was too much even for me.) On the plus side, the pie set up beautifully. I made it in the microwave, stirring every 2 minutes, so it was very easy. Thank you for posting, please see my rating system.
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml cornstarch
- 473.18 ml light cream, at room temp
- 236.59 ml milk, at room temp
- 4 extra-large egg yolks, lightly beaten, at room temp
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, at room temp
- 29.58 ml pure vanilla extract
- 295.73 ml sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 fully baked 9 inch pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl until it resembles powder.
- Add the light cream slowly in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Beat well.
- Add milk in the same way. Beat in egg yolks.
- Pour into heavy 2-quart saucepan, set over medium high heat, and bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- When the mixture reaches a hard boil (when bubbles continue thru stirring) reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Pour the filling into medium size bowl. Beat in the butter one Tablespoon at a time, stirring each until melted.
- Beat in vanilla and coconut. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool for 1/2 hour.
- Spoon filling into pie crust, chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Can decorate with whipped cream and browned coconut if so desired.