Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a yummy, healthy way to enjoy pizza from my Garden Cuisine cookbook by Paul Wenner. Below are the toppings that I chose however, you can use any of your own pizza favorites. I actually added some Hawaiian sausage to a couple of them for my meat-loving guests Enjoy!
- 2 Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/4 inch slices (I actually used 1 and 1/2 American Eggplant because that's what I had)
- 2 yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomato, I used fresh but you could use canned
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 whole wheat pita bread
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare the eggplants, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms as directed. Place in a single layer in one or two large baking dishes.
- Toss veggies with 3 teaspoons of the basil and the cinnamon, coriander, and salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the eggplant is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the sauce, combine the roasted red peppers with the tomatoes, garlic, and remaining teaspoon of basil (I threw mine into a food processor).
- To assemble the pizzas, spread a layer of the sauce on the whole-wheat pitas; top with a generous layer of the roasted vegetables; and bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.