Recipe by ellie_
Posted per request. Recipe source: Slow Cooker Cooking by Lora Brody
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
I admit to being one of those dreadful people who always looks at recipes to see what I might add. Well, I met my match in this recipe: it had in it all the vegetables I’d have wanted to include, as well as a few more that I use only occasionally! Okay, I doubled the garlic and added an onion, but those were the only changes I made until adding some oregano and thyme as the vegetables cooled. ellie_’s instructions were really clear, which was just great since I worried at first that there was no liquid in with the vegetables, but of course there was plenty of water in the vegetables! I made this in a large crockpot, on low for about 10 hours. Don’t expect the vegetables to come out as they would if oven-roasted, but if you’re familiar with crockpot cooking you’ll know that. This smelt superb as it was cooking, and it tasted wonderful. A great recipe for days when it is too hot to use the oven, and it would make a delicious accompaniment to BBQd meats and rice dishes. Next time, I won’t be so particular about cutting the vegetables so small, and I’ll add some tomatoes and capers. A great recipe, ellie_. Thanks for sharing it. And all those vegetable peelings, I’ve stashed away for making my next batch of Vegetable Stock Recipe #135453!
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch strips, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 3-inch strips, 1/2 inch wide and 1/4 inch thick
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 24 white pearl onions, peeled but left whole
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3-inch by 2-inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 3-inch by 2-inch strips
- 1 fennel bulb, base and leafy stalks discarded, bulb cut lengthwise into 3-inch long slices, 1/2 inch thick
- 12 baby artichokes, with stems intact stems peeled
- 8 ounces fresh large mushrooms, washed and cut into 3/4 inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vegetables (carrots - mushrooms) in crock pot insert and then sprinkle with garlic. Toss to combine well.
- Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours) or until vegetables are tender.
- ***If you want the vegetables browned, place them under the broiler for 3-4 minutes, turn and broil other side***.
- Allow vegetables to cool to room temperature before proceeding.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving platter, drizzle them with the cooking oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss.